As you know, I am enjoying a revisit to machine knitting and have replaced both my knitting machine and ribber. But I did keep hold of my old lace carriage, when I say old, I mean over 30 years old! I was amazed to find out that this lace carriage is still available and it is a LOT of money. Something was telling me to find out whether mine was still working, so lovely Barry delved deep into the garage and found it for me. The rotating things that pick up the info from the punch cards were a bit stiff, the left one more than the right. I took it upstairs and blew my hair-dryer at it to see if it was old hardened oil that was the problem.
Well the right one responded well but the left one, although it was moving, still didn’t moved easily. I removed as much of the old fluff as I could but still the left one stayed less responsive to a flick that the right. I removed the old oil on all the moveable parts and gave them a smear of new oil. I thought I would try it out regardless and it was absolutely fine. See My sample below.
So me being me, set to on a whole lace cardigan and have managed to knit the back of it without any errors so far. I found that my machine prefers the lace to come in from of the ribber so I covered the bed with a couple of tea towels and hung weights on the ribber bar, less than was used for the actual rib. I can’t wait to knit more of it but Barry is working from home and is on a tele conference for a while…I’ll soon be playing again
I have also finished some of these rather pretty Flower Socks, although the beads are only balanced on at the moment….lol Really love this pattern, which I have made before but this time I sort of understood it more. They are knitted toe-up in the round until you get to the part where you leave a gap for the crocheted flowers, then it is knitted flat..so pretty, hope the beads don’t annoy me in wear though ;)